Saturday, January 21, 2012

Roasted red pepper, eggplant, tomato pasta

The snow had me in hunker down mode this week, so I made big batches of roasted things I could eat on for days, one of which was this delicious eggplant / red pepper / tomato concoction that turned out so tasty I made it twice.

Ingredients:
One eggplant, chopped into cubes
One large can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
Roasted red peppers, roughly chopped (I bought mine already roasted in oil which made this even easier)
1 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/2 cup capers
1/2 cup olive oil (guessing on the amount here, I didn't measure)
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 400. Line a large deep baking dish with foil (I did this once with no foil and found clean up much easier with). Combine all veggie ingredients in dish, drizzle generously with olive oil (I threw in the oil from the peppers too), liberally salt and pepper, and give a good stir.



Roast for an hour stirring occasionally.



When done, veggies will be tender and rich in color. It will smell wonderful while in the oven!



I use this as a pasta topping - cook up some pasta reserving a little of the starchy water to sauce up the veggies, toss with the pasta. It's awesome, and you could easily get four pasta servings or maybe five out of the recipe. But this is a versatile dish! Use it as the sauce in a veggie lasagna. This also could be used as a dynamite topping with some fresh Italian herbs for little finger food toasts at a party! Eat it with a spoon. You'll want to, and if you're snowed in like I was this week, no one will be looking anyway.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Spot let me know how it turns out and whether you find another delicious thing to do with this mixture of roasted veggies. I've been loving it. Have now made it three times!

      Delete
  2. My neighbor and I made this tonight and it was just as good in a thunderstorm as a snowstorm. We added spicy red pepper flakes and feta once the vegetables were roasted. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spot, I'm psyched that it worked out! I love the idea of adding the feta and a little heat. YOWZA! I also totally want to make a lasagna with this same veggie mixture and I'm betting some crumbled feta mixed in with ricotta would make a wonderful filling. mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete